PDA

View Full Version : HTC Thunderbolt

jimclinton1965
03-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I am wondering if anyone is using the new HTC Thunderbolt on the PPC network or if it would even work on the PPC network?

Cardiac
03-26-2011, 12:37 AM
If it is a Verizon phone, which I am pretty sure it is, then it will work...

Sent from a Gingerbread Incredible ...

carpediemnow
03-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Why don't we just ask Kitty to ask PPC? Hey Kitty, does the Thunderbolt work on Page Plus. And if so, does it work in 4G in areas with LTE coverage or only 3G. My local regional cdma carrier has independent dealers flashing the Thunderbolt to their network, albeit in 3G evdo mode only.

tmason68
03-27-2011, 09:02 AM
I would be very surprised if it wasn't 3g only.

Kitty
03-27-2011, 11:48 AM
I would buy one to try, but it does not have a qwerty keyboard (just the virtual one)... and I have come to love my slide out D2.

speedracer
03-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I hereby volunteer to be your beta tester kitty. :-)

carpediemnow
03-31-2011, 02:13 AM
So, has the 4G/LTE Thunderbolt been activated on Page Plus/Verizon mvnos or not?

Kitty
03-31-2011, 09:37 AM
After some research, it is my belief that the 4G devices, including the Thunderbolt, will NOT work on Page Plus right now. They do not have traditional MEID's and the system we use is not built for the new ESN's/SIM Cards combinations.

We had a customer try to activate a Thunderbolt yesterday and the Page Plus system did not recognize the ESN/IMEI, etc.

Kitty

jimclinton1965
04-01-2011, 09:59 PM
You can NOT use the HTC Thunderbolt on PagePlus. This phone does not go by any ESN number. You have to call a 1-877 number to activate the 4G LTE card and then you put the card in the phone when it is activated and then turn the phone on and it programs itself. With the HTC Thunderbolt you do NOT dial *228 any longer.

carpediemnow
04-02-2011, 06:12 AM
Looks like a whole 'nother range of phones are being denied the byod treatment by the Verizon mvnos (what's left of them).

No Go: Cdma Iphones. Blackberries (officially). Verizon prepaid phones and now Verizon LTE/4G devices.

The Tbolt is the first but we'll see if Verizon starts giving its few remaing mvnos some slack as LTE rolls out in the next couple of years...

In the meantime, there's Tmobile Prepaid and Simple Mobile for the closest thing to prepaid 4G...

Until Att ruins it of course...

tmason68
04-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Right but does the typical pageplus smartphone user need 4g? There are lots of nice 3g smartphones to choose from.

Kitty
04-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Right but does the typical pageplus smartphone user need 4g? There are lots of nice 3g smartphones to choose from.

Absolutely not. PagePlus is NOT made for data, or advanced devices, truly. When basic 4G flip phones become "the norm", perhaps then they will NEED to be allowed on Page Plus, and the proper backend systems will be put into place to support that, but for now, 3G is just fine.

IMHO.

Kitty

carpediemnow
04-03-2011, 03:30 AM
There's some infrequent poster on Hofo claiming he got a Tbolt LTE/4G working on Verizon wireless prepaid. I'd say it might be possible. No other claims yet but if anything, they'd probably allow it more then an mvno.

They do have unlimited data. Nice. But the price...brrr...

xerotix
04-13-2011, 07:56 PM
I think its possible, just not probable at this point...with it being the "truest" lte phone it is probably not compatible and if it is there will be a lot of programing and flashing to be done...unfortunately

carpediemnow
04-14-2011, 05:20 AM
Denny Scher from Page Plus confirmed that the Tbolt is not activateable on PPC at this time.

So that would mean all LTE /4G phones from Verzion in the near future are not eligible till Verizon decides to open things up for their byod mvnos a little.

speedracer
04-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Denny Scher from Page Plus confirmed that the Tbolt is not activateable on PPC at this time.

So that would mean all LTE /4G phones from Verzion in the near future are not eligible till Verizon decides to open things up for their byod mvnos a little.

Color me unconcerned. PagePlus isn't the place to be if you want the absolute latest and greatest. I personally think there are plenty of great smartphone choices for PPC users (Android/WinMo/Palm/BB).

Maybe somewhere down the road not having access to LTE/4G will be a big deal for PPC users, but it really doesn't seem like it is currently.

Cardiac
04-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Color me unconcerned. PagePlus isn't the place to be if you want the absolute latest and greatest. I personally think there are plenty of great smartphone choices for PPC users (Android/WinMo/Palm/BB).

Maybe somewhere down the road not having access to LTE/4G will be a big deal for PPC users, but it really doesn't seem like it is currently.

I agree with you 100%...

carpediemnow
04-14-2011, 05:17 PM
It's just a nice option, not an essential to be able to get as many Verizon devices on PPC as possible. There are TONS of people who flocked to put their Droids on it when it came out ,even though Tnt 1200 was only 50 megs back then. And tons more Palm Pixi Plus users joined the ranks when the nationwide online firesales started on that phone.

The Tbolt is the new Droid so it makes sense to ask that question. When a new Verizon handset, particularly one so groundbreaking comes out, the first question a PPC user who loves byod has is, "can this thing be used on PPC?"

Same thing happened with the cdma iphone.

It's only natural to ask a thing like that on a byod network.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Realistically though, I'd say all Verizon prepaid/mvno options are limited to 3G only at this time and for 90% + users, that's good enough.

Especially with only 100 megs (plus overage at 15 cents a meg).

Wifi in da house!

tmason68
04-14-2011, 06:03 PM
It's just a nice option, not an essential to be able to get as many Verizon devices on PPC as possible. There are TONS of people who flocked to put their Droids on it when it came out ,even though Tnt 1200 was only 50 megs back then. And tons more Palm Pixi Plus users joined the ranks when the nationwide online firesales started on that phone.

The Tbolt is the new Droid so it makes sense to ask that question. When a new Verizon handset, particularly one so groundbreaking comes out, the first question a PPC user who loves byod has is, "can this thing be used on PPC?"

Same thing happened with the cdma iphone.

It's only natural to ask a thing like that on a byod network.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Realistically though, I'd say all Verizon prepaid/mvno options are limited to 3G only at this time and for 90% + users, that's good enough.

Especially with only 100 megs (plus overage at 15 cents a meg).

Wifi in da house!

I agree!

Itanaman
08-21-2011, 03:26 PM
I am a Page Plus Dealer, and have personally verified that the Thunderbolt is able to be activated on Page Plus (one of my customers is using it), however, he can not remember he bought his from a friend who already had it that way, and does not know how it was done. Page Plus Dealer Support stated to me today that there are no bans on them from the service, and no foreseeable bans coming.

However, the problem is I have is finding a step-by-step guide on activating these phones personally. I have noted a website by company @@@@@ phone selling a "flash thunderbolt to Page Plus", and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them, or has a step-by-step guide. PP has informed me that you can not use the *228 with these phones, as the phones automatically burn the SIM card in them when you do. Also, they could not verify which company to use for flashing the phone.

So does anyone here have a step-by-step guide, or know anything about a company that would help?

Thanks,
Itanaman

Smh
08-21-2011, 04:55 PM
I am a Page Plus Dealer, and have personally verified that the Thunderbolt is able to be activated on Page Plus (one of my customers is using it), however, he can not remember he bought his from a friend who already had it that way, and does not know how it was done. Page Plus Dealer Support stated to me today that there are no bans on them from the service, and no foreseeable bans coming.

However, the problem is I have is finding a step-by-step guide on activating these phones personally. I have noted a website by company @@@@@ phone selling a "flash thunderbolt to Page Plus", and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them, or has a step-by-step guide. PP has informed me that you can not use the *228 with these phones, as the phones automatically burn the SIM card in them when you do. Also, they could not verify which company to use for flashing the phone.

So does anyone here have a step-by-step guide, or know anything about a company that would help?

Thanks,
Itanaman

I came across @@@@@@@@@@ myself while researching this. Im having trouble finding any reliable reviews about them so Im hesitant to use them for now.

Kitty
08-21-2011, 05:03 PM

Thanks,
Itanaman

My first thought about this is: WHY activate an HTC Thunderbolt on Page Plus? Even if it's technically possible, you cannot even come close to using the full potential of a 4g LTE device on Page Plus - in 3G MODE.

And do you REALLY want to mail in a $500+ device to a company who you know nothing about? I dunno. Some people may want this. It's nothing we're going to pursue.

Kitty

Jane B.
08-21-2011, 11:09 PM
My first thought about this is: WHY activate an HTC Thunderbolt on Page Plus? Even if it's technically possible, you cannot even come close to using the full potential of a 4g LTE device on Page Plus - in 3G MODE.

And do you REALLY want to mail in a $500+ device to a company who you know nothing about? I dunno. Some people may want this. It's nothing we're going to pursue.

Kitty

Look here for one "why" http://www.kittyforums.net/showthrea...ll=1#post13928 and read on down several posts.

A friend reports that he is getting simultaneous voice & data in a 3G area with a Verizon Thunderbolt! It is of interest because Hamilton has an app http://www.hamiltoncaptel.com/mobile_captel/ for getting captions and talking with just the one phone. They do say that you need 4G for it to work but I have been seeing more and more reports simultaneous voice & data in a 3G area with the Thunderbolt. What keeps it from being something I have done serious follow up on is the cost of the phone and the cost of Verizon service if it canít go on Page Plus.

Itanaman
09-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Kitty,

Personally, I agree with you on why you would activate a Thunderbolt on the Page Plus service for your reasoning, however, many people apparently disagree with you and I on that, as there are just way too many people asking about how to do it online.

Now I have had 3 customers who have purchased other phones from me, successfully go through @@@@@ Phone for their Thunderbolts. They sent it in, and the longest one waited 5 days for hers to come back, and they are all loving it. Also, I have had customers use their remote services as well, and love them. So my company does highly recommend them, since they are the only ones I have found that do this successfully with now personally verified resources.

Itanaman

Kitty
09-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Itanaman,

With all due respect, you only have 6 posts here. How do we know this is legitimate?

Kitty

Lortikit
09-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Flash? I heard all you had to do was take out the LTE SIM card before activating on P+.

Kitty
09-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Flash? I heard all you had to do was take out the LTE SIM card before activating on P+.

I have Verizon on my business line. I have the Droid Bionic 4g LTE. Before that, I had the Samsung Droid Charge 4g LTE. So last night I took my Droid Charge 4g LTE out of the box and spent an hour playing with it, and researching whether that device could be put on Page Plus. I was able to process an activation for the MEID, but *228 and *22890 do NOT work on a 4g LTE device - it says "A SIM Card is required to use this device. Please power off your device and insert your SIM card to proceed." I even turned the LTE mode off and put it back into CDMA mode. And it still required a SIM card.

So I took my SIM from the Bionic, put it into the Charge, to get it to turn on, and then tried to remove it and do the programming - no luck.

If they are activating these devices on Page Plus, they are not doing it by simple easy methods - and OTA programming, from what I can tell, does not work. I would highly recommend this is an area that people avoid until Page Plus officially supports these devices, and we have SIM Cards in stock to ship out to people so they are supported. Until that happens, anything else should be considered a risk to your service and to your device.

If *I* cannot get it to work after over an hour of playing with it, trying various things, I would not recommend this route for the average user.

Kitty

Lortikit
09-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks Kitty! That's the most thorough testing I've seen documented yet. In theory, those results would apply to the Thunderbolt too.

oscar10R
09-26-2011, 07:03 PM
I have Verizon on my business line. I have the Droid Bionic 4g LTE. Before that, I had the Samsung Droid Charge 4g LTE. So last night I took my Droid Charge 4g LTE out of the box and spent an hour playing with it, and researching whether that device could be put on Page Plus. I was able to process an activation for the MEID, but *228 and *22890 do NOT work on a 4g LTE device - it says "A SIM Card is required to use this device. Please power off your device and insert your SIM card to proceed." I even turned the LTE mode off and put it back into CDMA mode. And it still required a SIM card.

So I took my SIM from the Bionic, put it into the Charge, to get it to turn on, and then tried to remove it and do the programming - no luck.

If they are activating these devices on Page Plus, they are not doing it by simple easy methods - and OTA programming, from what I can tell, does not work. I would highly recommend this is an area that people avoid until Page Plus officially supports these devices, and we have SIM Cards in stock to ship out to people so they are supported. Until that happens, anything else should be considered a risk to your service and to your device.

If *I* cannot get it to work after over an hour of playing with it, trying various things, I would not recommend this route for the average user.

Kitty Kitty, Do you think in a near future PPC will officially support 4G handsets?

Kitty
09-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Kitty, Do you think in a near future PPC will officially support 4G handsets?

Near future? No. Mid-range future, yes. 1-2 years. When 4g LTE devices become more "main stream", which won't be TOO long because Verizon is pushing them hard, Verizon will be forced to update their MVNO systems as 3G devices are phased out.

Kitty

oscar10R
09-26-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm asking because according to some rumors, next year Nokia will release some WP7 handsets in Verizon, and it's somewhat likely all of them are going to be 4G. If so, I'll be very disappointed because I really like WP7 and I'm planning to buy one of those phones so I can use it on PPC. But if they're 4G... better start looking for other options.

Kitty
09-26-2011, 07:31 PM
I understand completely. All I can tell you is that, the more prevalent that 4G LTE devices become, the more likely the MVNO systems are to be upgrade to support them. Once that happens, we'll be activating SIM cards instead of MEID's, and you'll be able to hotswap them between devices - that is, of course, assuming that Verizon ALLOWS their MVNO's access to 4g Handsets. Only time will tell.

Kitty

Owlish
09-29-2011, 01:19 AM

Kitty

Kitty, I don't know, if you're still interested in experimenting with trying to activate your droid charge on pp, but while browsing on another forum, I came across this method for a droid charge activation.
After processing your MEID, leave the sim in, dial *228 and let the activation fail. Repeat *228 + fail two more times. After the third time, it is supposed to bypass activation, and allow you to get to setup. After you set your phone to CDMA/WCDMA only, take the sim out, power it on. When you do your *22890, it should program as usual (supposedly?). This is, of course, only for 3G. I have no idea, if this works, but I thought I'd pass on the info for those adventurous at heart. ;)

Kitty
09-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Ok, so I had to wait all day till things calmed down, before I could try this, but, just did.

I left sim card in, dialed *228 ten times. Nothing. Took sim card out, dialed *228 ten times, nothing. Tried ten times each in and out with *22890 as well. Nothing.

:( Sorry.

Owlish
09-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Oh boo hiss....was hoping the info would pan out. Sorry, you wasted your time. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Kitty
09-29-2011, 09:54 PM
It's never a waste, Owlish, I'm always willing to try new things if I have the device to do it on and the time :)

Cardiac
09-29-2011, 10:16 PM
It's never a waste, Owlish, I'm always willing to try new things if I have the device to do it on and the time :)

That's what my wife used to say 20 years ago... :eek:

Micallen
09-29-2011, 10:22 PM
That's what my wife used to say 20 years ago... :eek:
[crickets chirping]

Owlish
09-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Lol.....and what does she say now?

Kitty
09-29-2011, 10:48 PM

Lol indeed!

Cardiac
09-30-2011, 07:03 AM

I got a headache!!

facesnorth
10-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Oh wow, I just noticed this thread. I hadn't considered that the 4G devices might not even work on PP. For a while now I have been planning on getting either a Bionic, Prime, Droid HD, or one of the other upcoming phones for use on PP. Not that I care about the 4G, but I want a speedy phone - I am sick of how slow my original Droid is with running any sort of apps.

So now what are the current top choices that will activate? Droid 3, X2, Incredible 2? Anything else recent?

oscar10R
10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Oh wow, I just noticed this thread. I hadn't considered that the 4G devices might not even work on PP. For a while now I have been planning on getting either a Bionic, Prime, Droid HD, or one of the other upcoming phones for use on PP. Not that I care about the 4G, but I want a speedy phone - I am sick of how slow my original Droid is with running any sort of apps.

So now what are the current top choices that will activate? Droid 3, X2, Incredible 2? Anything else recent?
I was going to tell you about the Nexus Prime because is expected to be a Verizon phone, but then I read It's going to be 4G LTE... so never mind!

m_b
10-08-2011, 03:41 PM
It would be nice if it would work,as i just had a friend give me her thunderbolt when the new Iphone came out.

Mike

pinchot
10-19-2011, 12:47 AM
I know I'm new here and not trustworthy, right, but for what it's worth I just watched a youtube video of a fellow reprogramming an HTC thunderbolt to use on page plus, 3g only, of course. Downside is that it required purchase of a $100 computer program for reprogramming the phone. It's a "non-listed" video which I arrived at through a link on another thread. If someone tells me I'm allowed to give the address for the link, I will. I assume he uses the same method that ********** uses when you send a phone to them.

I should say, apparently, if the Thunderbolt is officially banned on PP this would be illegal as an attempt to defraud the carrier. If it is not banned on PP, but simply doesn't work because of the default method by which the system attempts to program the phone, then I guess it would be fine.

tmason68
10-19-2011, 06:42 AM
pinchot

There are plenty of excellent smartphones that work with little to no manual programming. If people want to flash phones like you are referring to, they certainly can. Given that it would create a potential support nightmare for Kitty Wireless, we'd rather not encourage it here by posting links like that.

Thanks for understanding.

pinchot
10-19-2011, 10:40 AM
pinchot

There are plenty of excellent smartphones that work with little to no manual programming. If people want to flash phones like you are referring to, they certainly can. Given that it would create a potential support nightmare for Kitty Wireless, we'd rather not encourage it here by posting links like that.

thanks....and sorry. i didn't realize that we were more or less trying to avoid these methods....i was just contributing information i happened to stumble on.

i also would like to see these types of phones be operable on page plus, but also not because i need the download speeds but just to have that many more phone options.

tmason68
10-19-2011, 10:43 AM
No worries, and if its something you want to do, go for it. We just don't want to end up with questions like "I can't send MMS on my HTC Thunderbolt, please help". Someday phones like that will probably work on PagePlus without "flashing". Then we'll all be interested in talking about it.

Jane B.
10-19-2011, 11:00 AM
pinchot

But they don't do this for the hearing impaired!

A friend reports that he is getting simultaneous voice & data in a 3G area with a Verizon Thunderbolt! It is of interest because Hamilton has an app http://www.hamiltoncaptel.com/mobile_captel/ for getting captions and talking with just the one phone. They do say that you need 4G for it to work but I have been seeing more and more reports simultaneous voice & data in a 3G area with the Thunderbolt. What keeps it from being something I have done serious follow up on is the cost of the phone and the cost of Verizon service if it canít go on Page Plus.

pinchot
10-19-2011, 12:22 PM
No worries, and if its something you want to do, go for it. We just don't want to end up with questions like "I can't send MMS on my HTC Thunderbolt, please help". Someday phones like that will probably work on PagePlus without "flashing". Then we'll all be interested in talking about it.

well, at this point i have a mostly modern device that will hopefully last a while. i'm not interested in spending $ for such a new phone (thunderbolt), $ for the necessary software, all to disable its greatest feature (4g, except for what Jane B. is talking about, but that does not apply to me).

is the simultaneous voice and data something all 4G phones are capable of, or only TB?

Jane B.
10-19-2011, 12:39 PM
well, at this point i have a mostly modern device that will hopefully last a while. i'm not interested in spending $ for such a new phone (thunderbolt), $ for the necessary software, all to disable its greatest feature (4g, except for what Jane B. is talking about, but that does not apply to me).

is the simultaneous voice and data something all 4G phones are capable of, or only TB?

I am pretty sure all Verizon 4G phones are capable of it.

BUT the Thunderbolt is the ONLY one that has been reported to be capable of it on 3G.

andersoncell
11-30-2011, 12:24 AM
it does work ppl. i have a bionic activated today working talk and text and ive almost got mms and data figured out. when you activate leave off the last number of that weird meid. then do ##program and program manually the mdn min and sid... easy as that.

the word i got is verizon never formally told pageplus 4glte devices cannot be activated not like the iphone4 that was a formal instruction not to allow them.

and to everyone saying WHY? For shame what if bill gates or steve jobs said WHY!!!! Why is because we are human and we control machines!! They do what we want them to do or we find a way to make them obey. it is our innate nature. sure we dont care about 4g BUT i sure do care about making the new droid RAZR OBEY ME!!!

andersoncell
11-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Secondly what if you bought a used car and it only ran on gasoline sold by ford? Or a dvd player that only played movies put out by miramax? same thing these carriers have been OWNING YOUR DEVICES FOR YEARS! Even if you bought a droid outright cash and then put it on a contract and default your esn is bad!!!... The phone manufacturers are the puppets of the carriers and we the sheep are the audience ooohing and ahhhing at the new 20th droid to come out this week!! Over 200 phones have came out in the last year divided by 4 carriers. The thunderbolt is now basically obsolete 5 months out!!! Why because thats turnover.

This is not a rant in an way without the big boys we could not use this technology on pageplus. Im just trying to point out the fact that you should never ask WHY.... Why builds the wonders of the world. why made your phone.. why made your internets..

Kitty
11-30-2011, 08:25 AM
I'm not going to get into this discussion any further. 4g Devices are not supported on Page Plus at this time. They WILL be fully supported within 1-2 years. Until then, my advice is to NOT ASK FOR THE HEADACHES, and problems, of trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Just relax. There are PLENTY of HIGH END 3G devices that WILL work fine on Page Plus. Use those. There is absolutely no benefit to putting a 4G device onto a 3G only network right now.

Kitty

Jane B.
11-30-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm not going to get into this discussion any further. 4g Devices are not supported on Page Plus at this time. They WILL be fully supported within 1-2 years. Until then, my advice is to NOT ASK FOR THE HEADACHES, and problems, of trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Just relax. There are PLENTY of HIGH END 3G devices that WILL work fine on Page Plus. Use those. There is absolutely no benefit to putting a 4G device onto a 3G only network right now.

Kitty

Re the part I have added bold to. Please see post #49!!!!

tmason68
11-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Re the part I have added bold to. Please see post #49!!!!

Please lets stop beating this dead horse. Locking the thread.

tmason68
11-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Please lets stop beating this dead horse. Locking the thread.

I just cleaned up some posts that didn't add any value, and Kitty's reply since its out of context without the posts that preceded it. Just a word of advice for anyone following along:

Although I kid around a lot, when I say something like "lets stop beating a dead horse" I mean it. It doesn't mean slip one more comment in on the subject.

darlene
07-29-2013, 06:33 PM
you can use a htc thunderbolt on pageplus requires flashing

maryb
07-29-2013, 06:41 PM
This is almost a 2 year old thread darlene :) well over 2 if you go to the beginning of it.
you can use a htc thunderbolt on pageplus requires flashing

darlene
07-29-2013, 06:46 PM

i have a thc thunderbolt on pageplus requires flashing:yay:

Cardiac
07-30-2013, 07:06 AM
Yes, you are correct. They are referring to 4g capabilities. There are a bunch of 4g phones that are flashable to PP now.