Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talkatone Alternative After Google Voice Ends Support

Talkatone Alternative After Google Voice Ends Support

Since GV support for Talkatone is ending 5/15/14, is there, or will there be an alternative app for texting over WiFi and/or cellular data using a GV #?
    My PagePlus Phone History---13 Years & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

If texting is all you are after, using Google's own google voice app currently works and I believe it will continue to work after the 5/15 change. It's VoIP voice calling that is missing from the google voice app.

Ok. Thanks. I had never used the official GV app for various reasons, but that may be the answer.

Does anybody use Hangouts? I looked at it briefly, but I only saw that it was asking me to invite people to Hangouts, which isn't what I want to do.

Go over to he DSLReports.com forum, where this discussion has been carried on endlessly. If you have an iOS device you could beta-test a new client being offered by the Future Nine VoIP provider that allegedly integrates texting.

Barry is right: all I ever use is Google's own Android and iOS apps for texting over data. They work great. When at home I unforward my GV-to-Cell forwarding, saving $$ on cals/texts sent to the PP cell that is on PAYGO (and more easily answering texts from my laptop and tablet).

I'm not using Hangouts because switching to Hangouts breaks GV. Be Careful with that.

AFAIK, GV isn't going to "stop" on 5/15 -- only 3rd party connectivity to the XMPP/Jabber API wil shut down. GV should continue to work -- for a while -- the way Google deploys it and the way it was always intended to work. Callback will still work. Example: I use my PP phone to autodial my GV number, press "2", and send the called #. That way the caller sees my GV CID and it only takes perhaps 20 extra seconds. Transparent to me: it's just one long autodial string with pauses, etc. Like I used to do when I used dialstring-embedded calling card numbers...

Dammit google.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The official GV app should work ok to replace the SMS function of Talkatone. I haven't used it too much, but I'll also miss having the ability to use WiFi calling with my GV # when traveling and staying in hotels. I dislike change! Now I just have to find time to install, configure, and learn to use the official GV app. Oh, well.

Any sense of whether we will still have to option to have our GV number ring multiples lines at once, after these changes? I loved this ability back when vonage started, and enjoyed it through GV for years now. Luckily I do not rely on Grooveip for calls or similar VoIP apps. Just need to be able to ring two phones (one PP and one on Tmobile) because I am having issues in my studio with calls going straight to vm on my Tmo line. Aside from thread on dslreports, any good threads I should check out to catch up on these changes? There are way too many coming up when I query "google voice changes May" and I'd like to catch up to speed without it taking ten hours of research. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    Since GV support for Talkatone is ending 5/15/14, is there, or will there be an alternative app for texting over WiFi and/or cellular data using a GV #?
    I was really surprised reading your post, as it sounds like GV is ending support for Talkatone, much like the case with Obi (XMPP wouldn't work anymore because of the implementation of Hangouts). However, I found out that that is not the case, as it is Talkatone that ends its support for GV and decide to change direction and offer its own VoIP service.

Reference: http://support.talkatone.com/custome...ng-may-15-2014

Quote Originally Posted by BGilomen View Post
    AFAIK, GV isn't going to "stop" on 5/15 -- only 3rd party connectivity to the XMPP/Jabber API wil shut down. GV should continue to work -- for a while -- the way Google deploys it and the way it was always intended to work. Callback will still work. Example: I use my PP phone to autodial my GV number, press "2", and send the called #. That way the caller sees my GV CID and it only takes perhaps 20 extra seconds. Transparent to me: it's just one long autodial string with pauses, etc. Like I used to do when I used dialstring-embedded calling card numbers...
    That's what I thought Boz was referring to, but he's apparently talking about something completely different. See link above

The real answer is nobody knows. It's all speculation at this point.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Newcron View Post
    I was really surprised reading your post, as it sounds like GV is ending support for Talkatone, much like the case with Obi (XMPP wouldn't work anymore because of the implementation of Hangouts). However, I found out that that is not the case, as it is Talkatone that ends its support for GV and decide to change direction and offer its own VoIP service.

Reference: http://support.talkatone.com/custome...ng-may-15-2014

That's what I thought Boz was referring to, but he's apparently talking about something completely different. See link above
    Well, based on how Boz phrased it, our understanding was perfectly reasonable.

But: chicken or egg? I read the Talkatone blurb and I'd suggest they are "changing direction" =because= Google is pulling the plug. I'd bet they would not have gone in this new direction but for their free callpath disappearing. Their words words about it being "their decision" are, methinks, revisionist history. They are doing exactly what Obihai has done -- change direction (and partner with Anveo as a VoIP partner in the case of Obihai)...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast