Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 4G Phones Allowed??

4G Phones Allowed??

Are any of the new 4G Verizon phones allowed on Page Plus? Will they work at 4G speeds? I am able to get the new Samsung Charge if it will work on Page Plus

4G LTE phones will not work on Page Plus, because they require a SIM card. A SIM card must be provisioned on the LTE network, and Page Plus does not have access to the LTE network.

I know there are rumors our there that 4G devices can be used on Page Plus, but they are untrue.

3G devices, and lower, are the only devices that can be used on Page Plus.

Kitty

There are ZERO prepaid options for 4G /LTE Verizon devices. NONE of the Verizon based byod options allow it including Verizon's own prepaid division. The ONLY way to get a 4G LTE Verizon device to work on another network is to flash it to Cricket or similar network which reduces it to 3G defeating the whole point of a 4G phone.

I'm actually interested running one of the newer 4g phones at 3g speeds if it means being able to operate on PP. I'm potentially able to get a droid charge on the cheap and would love to have the newer features of the phone (front camera, better proc, hdmi out, etc). not being able to run the phone (or any other 4G phone) at all on page plus is a real bummer for those wanting to BYOD in the near future when most phones will be 4G LTE. If there's a straight forward way of performing this 4G to 3G 'downgrade' to make them work on page plus without elaborate time consuming hacks, please share or PM me. I'm very phone tech savvy when it comes to rooting, custom roms, and even some old-school tricks, but I don't have the free time to piddle fart around anymore just so I can upgrade from my Droid2.

Thanks

bucknljake, there isn't an easy DIY way.

Quote Originally Posted by carpediemnow View Post
    There are ZERO prepaid options for 4G /LTE Verizon devices. NONE of the Verizon based byod options allow it including Verizon's own prepaid division. The ONLY way to get a 4G LTE Verizon device to work on another network is to flash it to Cricket or similar network which reduces it to 3G defeating the whole point of a 4G phone.
    That's true at the moment. But I wonder how much longer this situation can last, for the MVNOs that rely on Verizon's BYOD.

The best phones right now that can work on an MVNO are the Droid X2 and Droid 3. But these are soon to be retired, and probably won't have any 3G versions with reasonable features to replace them. In the near future (this summer), there will probably be a situation where you will not be able to buy any new handset at all from VZW to work on PPC.

I'm sure that for the most of us, lacking the actual LTE connection bandwidth is secondary to the concern that fewer and fewer devices by the months are still allowed to work on PPC. Soon, there will be very lean pickings in terms of devices, and PPC may lose much of its BYOD appeal. I really like PPC for the 8-9 months I've been on their service, and really like Kittywireless; but PPC soon might no longer be a viable option for me, if nothing that is later than the D3 will be allowed to work on PPC, especially considering that D X2 and D3 are right now not slated to get ICS upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by HardBall View Post
    That's true at the moment. But I wonder how much longer this situation can last, for the MVNOs that rely on Verizon's BYOD.
    A long time. We are nowhere near even being threatened by the 4G situation.

I'm sure that for the most of us, lacking the actual LTE connection bandwidth is secondary to the concern that fewer and fewer devices by the months are still allowed to work on PPC. Soon, there will be very lean pickings in terms of devices, and PPC may lose much of its BYOD appeal. I really like PPC for the 8-9 months I've been on their service, and really like Kittywireless; but PPC soon might no longer be a viable option for me, if nothing that is later than the D3 will be allowed to work on PPC, especially considering that D X2 and D3 are right now not slated to get ICS upgrade.
    You're really being overly dramatic on this situation, IMHO. Hogwash. All in due time. If, before that time comes, you REALLY feel the need to pay big bucks for mandatory data plans.... all I can say is I hope you don't sign a 2 year agreement

Kitty

The best phones right now that can work on an MVNO are the Droid X2 and Droid 3. But these are soon to be retired, and probably won't have any 3G versions with reasonable features to replace them. In the near future (this summer), there will probably be a situation where you will not be able to buy any new handset at all from VZW to work on PPC.

Hardball,

Kitty has said many times that all of this is being looked at. I feel confident that Page Plus will do what has to be done to stay competitive. Right now PPC operates on an excellent network that give them an advantage compared to other MVNO's. Also, when you call PPC customer care you are speaking to an American in the USA. So not all competitive advantages lie with the newest phones. However, I think PPC will be able to deal with whatever the competitive situation is in the future. They have made many changes in the past year already! So given their track record I would relax and just wait and see what they come up with!

Page Plus has been around about 15 years. Back before 1X was even available, then into 3G, do you really think they would just NOT get 4G services, as they become more common? As I said before -- HOGWASH. All in due time. No company is going to give their MVNO's the cutting edge technology as soon as it becomes available.

Just relax. Ok buddy?

Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    A long time. We are nowhere near even being threatened by the 4G situation.

You're really being overly dramatic on this situation, IMHO. Hogwash. All in due time. If, before that time comes, you REALLY feel the need to pay big bucks for mandatory data plans.... all I can say is I hope you don't sign a 2 year agreement

Kitty
    Thanks Kitty;

I agree that there is no issue with 4G service; I don't think that the majority or even a sizable minority of user of PPC are clamouring for LTE speeds. But the situation that I described is not 4G at all, but is about allowing LTE capable devices onto PPC's 3G network.

But I do have to agreeably disagree, that the available devices are an issue, at least for the users that need reasonably fast devices with current features. As I said before, there will be very little in terms of reasonable options at VZW as soon as this summer rolls around. A quick scan on VZW store today, there are very few decent 3G devices that will work on PPC network that you can purchase new at the store, two of them are out of stock (D3 and Incredible2); the only two reasonably specced devices on sale right now are the Rhyme and the DX2. But even these are nearing EOL. So I'm saying that PPC should try to negotiate, or look for a way otherwise, to get some LTE capable devices onto their 3G service, in order to allow their customers reasonable choice for upgrading in the near to medium term future.

Like I said, I have great respect for you Kitty, and have found that kittywireless provides excellent service. But I think that PPC needs to look at this as a real issue that needs to be addressed in a reasonable time frame, and not just regard it as random people complaining for unjustified reason.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast