Thread: Question on the 723487686 phone number issue

Question on the 723487686 phone number issue

Hi,

Last thread I read on this issue was from Jan 2011. I'm new to PP with my Moto Droid and have the TNT 1200 plan. Signed up with Kitty Wireless yesterday, and this number 723487686 is really draining my minutes, sms, and data only after day 2. Really weird! The previous thread hinted that a PP approved cell may be the best solution.

Any advice from any PP Droid users? I'm on wifi 90% of the time, but this 723487686 sneaks in even while on wifi. Only area I can find to control is the Background data under Accounts and sync settings. Wish I can leave this on because it should be able to check data thru my wifi, right?

Thanks for any assistance on this matter,
    Loren

That is a data connection. Turn data off

Sent from my rooted dInc2
    The Grim Reaper

Thanks tmason68...I figured you were the Droid pro on this forum. I usually know this tech stuff, but

1. how does turning off data play a factor in me being on my home wifi connection and still updating email, calendar, and such thru my wifi

2. when I am on the 3g network away from home?

3. where is the data box located on the Droid 1 (if you know) and which of the one's previously mentioned is best droidwall, 3g watchdog, and switch pro?

Finally, for those who love to root droids and play with ROMs, Liquid Smooth 3.2 is working pretty well on my Droid 1.

Thanks again.

liquid smooth 3.2 screenshot.jpg

Re: data over mobile network on Droid 1. Just find this because now must aware of data usage. Under Wireless and network settings / Mobile networks / checkbox off for Data enable over Mobile network.

Still curious though, what is the 723487686 number anyways? And what should I do when I'm away from my wifi and want access a bit of app data? If I turn it on, won't the 723487686 plague me again?

Thanks.

It sounds like you have an app looking for info/update. Maybe a weather app or something like email. Certain apps will "call home" via your data without you having to do anything. Under Accounts & sync, background data has to be off or it will continue to use data.
    Last edited by MtMan; 11-29-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by salasman View Post
    Re: data over mobile network on Droid 1. Just find this because now must aware of data usage. Under Wireless and network settings / Mobile networks / checkbox off for Data enable over Mobile network.

Still curious though, what is the 723487686 number anyways? And what should I do when I'm away from my wifi and want access a bit of app data? If I turn it on, won't the 723487686 plague me again?

Thanks.
    Install DroidWall. Configure it to only allow a few key apps to access "data". Then only turn data on when you need it.

Thanks for advice tmason68 and mtman. I assume Droidwall and 3g Dog are both useful because both provide separate bits of useful information, right? Also, mtman, if I have the box unchecked to not allow data over the mobile network, wouldn't it be unnecessary to also uncheck background data under Accounts and sync. I inquire because if left unchecked and on wifi, my droid can't access the market. So it seems easier to leave this box checked BUT always not allow data over the mobile network...so I'm always playing it safe, you know.

Thanks again. Learning the ins and outs of this stuff is pretty neat.

and
    Quote Originally Posted by tmason68 View Post
    Install DroidWall. Configure it to only allow a few key apps to access "data". Then only turn data on when you need it.

If you block something with DroidWall, the rest of the settings for that app don't matter, as long as DroidWall is enabled. You should make sure data is OFF when you power down your phone, because when you power it back up, it takes a minute for DroidWall to get its shield up.