Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about bad esn's and Kitty's ESN Check??

Question about bad esn's and Kitty's ESN Check??

I have the oppurtunity to buy a phone on ebay at a great price, which is a verizon phone that works with page plus. The seller is selling it becuase it he saidit has a bad esn. He gave me the esn and I did an ESN check thru Kitty and it came back OK to activate on pageplus. Is the ESN check pretty accurate??

Hmmm. If the seller is telling you it has a bad ESN, even though it passed our ESN Check, I guess I'd err on the side of caution and not buy it. Only because maybe he means... it WILL have a bad esn because the balance won't be paid off, or whatever... we can only tell you the status of the ESN *at that moment* - maybe he gave you the wrong ESN?

If he gave you the MEID (starts with an A), ask him for the HEX or DEC and check that one instead. Ask him for the ESN from inside the phone's software, not the one on the back of the phone under the battery - the one inside the software is 100% accurate, the label on the back could have been modified.

I'd proceed with caution. If you do not have unlimited access to our ESN Checks, please email me at support@kittywireless.com with the HEX or DEC (mention you're penmaker from the forums) and I'll do additional checks for you free of charge as a courtesy.

Kitty

My opinion...I would just stay away from that phone. There are other fish (phones) in the sea (on eBay). A bad ESN is a big red flag imo.

I would agree with tmason68. ESPECIALLY since the seller is telling you this.

Well, I guess it was my fault, luckily I am only out 45.00. You would think I remembered what Caleb told me last week when I did a ESN change, the one on the outside of the phone would not work but the one internally worked wonders. Caleb told me the same thing, I guess thats what happened when you dont remember things. I just thought crap what a great deal , did the esn check, came back ok and forgot about the internal esn. So we will see when the phone gets here. I am hoping he is mistaken thinking it has a bad esn and was informed incorrectly.

I hope so too. Good luck! If you get stuck with it and it does have a bad ESN...you can sell it for parts and get some money back. Write the rest off as "tuition" as my mom used to say.

tmason68
    Don't bad/lost esn get's removed after a year or did they change that?

Kitty's ESN checker is not 100% reliable. I would say 98%. I read one post (Not here) and my experience that 2 phones passed the ESN checker but still couldn't get the phone to activate. So, verizon must have another way to do a further check then Kitty or PP could do my phone is a u340 and was on airvoice for 2 years but wouldn't activate on pageplus. So, I put it on a ut starcom phone my grandmother gave me until I decided which service to go with. I don't like the Ut starcom phone it is to big for me.
    Last edited by groze; 08-12-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Well it is going to be interesting to see how this pans out. The esn he posted on the ad was from under the battery and it passed a esn check. so when I get the phone and look internally and it is different, I will dispute it thru ebay for giving wrong information in the ad. Like I said earlier if I got screwed I am only out 45.00. and then Ill list it on ebay for parts.

Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    tmason68
    Don't bad/lost esn get's removed after a year or did they change that?
    I don't know the answer to this. I am too impatient to wait a year anyway. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by groze View Post
    tmason68
    Kitty's ESN checker is not 100% reliable. I would say 98%. I read one post (Not here) and my experience that 2 phones passed the ESN checker but still couldn't get the phone to activate. So, verizon must have another way to do a further check then Kitty or PP could do my phone is a u340 and was on airvoice for 2 years but wouldn't activate on pageplus. So, I put it on a ut starcom phone my grandmother gave me until I decided which service to go with. I don't like the Ut starcom phone it is to big for me.
    I disagree with the 98% part. I think our system is 100% reliable. There is a difference between whether an ESN is clear and whether a device will 'activate'. In the case of your U340, as I recall, the ESN was clear and the device DID go onto the network, but it would not take over-the-air programming - right? That's not the ESN Checker's fault. The ESN *was* clear - but MANY devices, for one reason or another, will NOT take OTA. I'm willing to bet if we had your phone here in our office we could mess with it and make it works just fine. It's just next to impossible to do such tweakings remotely for a customer.

Kitty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast