Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Use your phone as a WiFi hotspot for free

Use your phone as a WiFi hotspot for free

If you have wanted to use your Page Plus phone as a mobile WiFi hotspot you may have been disappointed with the fact that the factory installed software to do that does not work with Page Plus.

Don't fret! Many of the Android phones that are used on Page Plus can use a FREE app call FoxFi that can turn your Android phone into a WiFi hotspot. Even better, you don't have to root your phone to do this.

So let's go over the advantages:

1. Free
    2. Don't have to root
    3. Lets you use the data you paid for the way you want to

Here are the links to check it out:

http://foxfi.com/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.foxfi&hl=en
    A smartphone on a dumb plan is dumb. A smartphone on a smart plan, that's @@@@@@!

Re: Use your phone as a WiFi hotspot for free

I tried foxfi this past weekend to tether my phone to my tablet didn't work too well. Sometimes it would say foxfi is remembered but not in range, they were right next to each other. Other times when I could get it to connect my tablet would kick foxfi off and scan for other hotspots. My tablet is rooted but not my droid x2. I'm still looking for other alternatives but not having much luck. Might just have to put the tablet on a prepaid data plan from the big V.

Sent from my galaxy tab sch i800

I was able to use it on my Droid X2. It does not have to be rooted so it should work on that. Not sure what the issue would be.
    A smartphone on a dumb plan is dumb. A smartphone on a smart plan, that's @@@@@@!

Let's say you ARE rooted....are there better choices?
    Yeah,that's me on TV,homeboy attacked my sister http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXvZe...eature=channel

Use your phone as a WiFi hotspot for free

Quote Originally Posted by Hofo Reject View Post
    Let's say you ARE rooted....are there better choices?
    Wifi Tether and Barnicle are the 2 big names. I had success with wifi tether but that was quite a while ago.

Some custom Roms have it built in as well.
    The Grim Reaper

No experience using FoxFi on a PP phone, but I did install it long ago on my girlfriend's Virgin Mobile Optimus V and it works flawlessly feeding her VM 3G to my PP Pixi Plus or Pre 2. When I first installed it her phone was NOT rooted (is now), so that can be a huge advantage to the techno-averse

I have read that FoxFi doesn't work on HTC Incredible or Incredible 2 phones, and this seems to be accurate based on the description.

But I guess the good news is that with a rooted phone, the tethering options are greatly increased.

From what I have read, the Palm Pixi/Plus and Palm Pre/Pre2 all have a built-in hotspot feature that does not require working with a Verizon app...you can just toggle it on and off without any extra software to install. So if the Android OS is not a requirement for you, then that might be an option. I just bought a brand new Pre 2 from eBay to try this out on. (nib for $60 and free shipping!) Someone correct me if I am wrong on the Palm smartphones coming with wifi already enabled out of the box.

yes the pre2 does for sure. that wad an incentive to buy it from vzw was that tethering was free. too this day you can still activate a pre2 on vzw and will automatically get 5gb of tethering for free. the pre/pixi I am not 100% sure. might have to put preware on it, but that takes all of 5 minutes to do and is very very easy

Quote Originally Posted by bmwtechguy View Post
    From what I have read, the Palm Pixi/Plus and Palm Pre/Pre2 all have a built-in hotspot feature that does not require working with a Verizon app...you can just toggle it on and off without any extra software to install. So if the Android OS is not a requirement for you, then that might be an option. I just bought a brand new Pre 2 from eBay to try this out on. (nib for $60 and free shipping!) Someone correct me if I am wrong on the Palm smartphones coming with wifi already enabled out of the box.
    TO CLARIFY: I have both a Pixi Plus and a Pre 2. Both (appropriately) came as Verizon branded phones. Both had a hotspot app included, but each was a VZW hotspot app, that works ONLY with VZW service. If you use the phones with VZW, great; you have a hotspot. Neither phone would work as a hotspot with PP. However, I was easily able to get both the Pixi Plus and the Pre 2 to become a hotspot under PP using the "freeTether" WebOS app available from the Preware feed (must load and enable Preware -- the open source app store -- to get this all).

EDIT: when you say "coming with wifi already enabled out of the box" I assume you mean to say "coming with A HOTSPOT already enabled out of the box." Pretty much every modern smartphone comes with WiFi capability out of the box...
    Last edited by BGilomen; 11-13-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast