Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I keep hitting mute or end call with my face IPHONE 4 Help!!

I keep hitting mute or end call with my face IPHONE 4 Help!!

I have recently gone from a droid x2 (which i actually kinda miss) to an iphone 4. I need to find out how to change a setting because everytime I am on a call i bump mute, face time or end call with my face. Someone PLEASE help me with how to change this. Im ready to switch back to my droid!!

Quote Originally Posted by allyanna View Post
    I have recently gone from a droid x2 (which i actually kinda miss) to an iphone 4. I need to find out how to change a setting because everytime I am on a call i bump mute, face time or end call with my face. Someone PLEASE help me with how to change this. Im ready to switch back to my droid!!
    I would guess those functions are all on the touch screen? If so, shouldn't the proximity sensor disable the touch screen when you have the iPhone 4 up to your face? If there is no setting for the proximity sensor, I might wonder if the proximity sensor is defective.

I have no clue, any one with an i phone 4 have any idea??

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    I would guess those functions are all on the touch screen? If so, shouldn't the proximity sensor disable the touch screen when you have the iPhone 4 up to your face? If there is no setting for the proximity sensor, I might wonder if the proximity sensor is defective.
    My thoughts exactly.

Test it by making a call and then put your hand over the ear speaker, the screen should turn off when your hand is with in about 1 inch. Sometimes a screen replacement done incorrectly can cause the proximity sensor to stop working, has your screen been replaced?

The proximity sensor is in the little window about 1cm above the ear speaker, its harder to see on a black iphone. Poor quality screens sometimes interfere with the operation or the lack of a gasket allows light leakage, or the sensor may have been damaged during screen install... The part is about $7 on ebay, youtube has pretty good how-to replacement videos. It's a bit of a job, if you're mechanically inclined, its not problem but might take up to an hour the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by markcm View Post
    The proximity sensor is in the little window about 1cm above the ear speaker, its harder to see on a black iphone. Poor quality screens sometimes interfere with the operation or the lack of a gasket allows light leakage, or the sensor may have been damaged during screen install... The part is about $7 on ebay, youtube has pretty good how-to replacement videos. It's a bit of a job, if you're mechanically inclined, its not problem but might take up to an hour the first time.
    Thanks for all your help, i believe that is what was wrong. The place i purchased it from offered me a replacement or full refund. Since I actually missed my droid x2 i went with a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by markcm View Post
    Hi markcm
    just noticed your response. I actually have the same problem as the OP only it was on my droid x. I too really like my phone but am frequently "dialling" callers while talking. Do they sell this part for Droid X's too? I have been close to getting a new phone only because of this one issue so if it can be fixed pretty cheap that would be awesome.

Karen

I have heard that if you have a 'protector or case' on it that it may interfere with the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by karenmunsell View Post
    Hi markcm
    just noticed your response. I actually have the same problem as the OP only it was on my droid x. I too really like my phone but am frequently "dialling" callers while talking. Do they sell this part for Droid X's too? I have been close to getting a new phone only because of this one issue so if it can be fixed pretty cheap that would be awesome.

Karen
    I've seen comments that if the same kind of little rubber gasket gets out of position on a Droid X, the sensor won't work. I can imagine that it might be a pain to disassemble, try to get the rubber gasket back in place, and reassemble.

I haven't tried it, but you could take a look at myLock utilities https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=search_result to see if it might help.
    *In-call touchscreen lock--- if you experience face dialing/muting/hangup because your touchscreen wakes up during phone calls, enable the lock. You can unlock by trackball/camera button when you do need to use the screen in-call. Otherwise, touch input is blocked after the screen goes to sleep during a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
    I've seen comments that if the same kind of little rubber gasket gets out of position on a Droid X, the sensor won't work. I can imagine that it might be a pain to disassemble, try to get the rubber gasket back in place, and reassemble.

I haven't tried it, but you could take a look at myLock utilities https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=search_result to see if it might help.
    *In-call touchscreen lock--- if you experience face dialing/muting/hangup because your touchscreen wakes up during phone calls, enable the lock. You can unlock by trackball/camera button when you do need to use the screen in-call. Otherwise, touch input is blocked after the screen goes to sleep during a call.
    Thanks Boz, think I may try the screen lock as not sure what to attempt anything more technical. Only time it will be a pain is when calling one of those companies that requires you to jump through their many menus before speaking to a human but that is better than hanging up or calling someone during a call. Thanks for the input.

Btw, do not have any case on the phone currently. I am thinking it could be as Boz stated that there is something interfering with the sensor as works someties and not others. If I remember to, I hit the "hid" button on the touchscreen and it will hide the dial pad for that call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast