Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VZW shutting down 3G--will this affect me?

VZW shutting down 3G--will this affect me?

I have a couple of PP lines, using old Samsung flip phones for voice only--no text, nothing else. They're for very occasional use on the standard plan.

I saw this:

http://goo.gl/XpCUJs

Verizon has started shutting down its 3G network

Itís the beginning of the end for 3G networks in the US. Verizon, a carrier that once touted its supremacy in 3G coverage, has started switching it off. In place of its 3G network, Verizon will expand 4G LTE coverage, which has been its main push since the first locations went online back in 2010. If youíre still relying on Big Redís 3G network, you might be looking at a device upgrade before long.

Does this mean the end of my trusty flip phones? Will I be looking at device upgrades this year? I really don't want/need anything else for this application.

If I must change devices, where's the bang for the buck? Disclaimer: I really, really don't even want these things to have any data capability whatosever.

Thanks.

Everything that I have seen indicates that verizon has started to switch some of their 3G towers to 4g. The full switch should not be complete until sometime near 2020.

Where does this leave PPC standard/12 plan users who are 3G only?

That's gonna suck !!!

If you believe anything these carriers tell you, I'm truly sorry for your naivete'. These carriers have not been truthful to the public in years and there are dozens of articles to that effect, including AT&T telling the FCC they are not going to build out, etc... and FCC calling them on it. Besides, in 5-10 years you are probably going to get a new phone anyway

I agree. By the time 3G truly disappears, 3G phones will likely be technologically obsolete or else they just won't last that long.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCokePepsi View Post
    I agree. By the time 3G truly disappears, 3G phones will likely be technologically obsolete or else they just won't last that long.
    By the time it happens we will all be clamoring for 5g phones and access. lol.

5g is already in testing so more like 8g

Obsolete...like the old analog phones...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast