Thread: floating phone number?

Question floating phone number?

I ported in a number about 6 weeks ago to a Droid 2 Global 500-xxxx. The phone stays off all the time, because it's only purpose is to be used for voicemail - actually, to direct people to the phone number that my husband is actually using.

My son has been on Boost, but I've convinced him that he will save tons of money by being on PagePlus. So here is my question: Can I port his existing phone number, 950-xxxx to the Droid and have the 500-xxxx just be floating out in the universe until his $10/4 months has been used up? Or do I HAVE to find another phone to port the 500-xxxx number onto?

Hope that makes sense.

Jenny

You could take the phone number that you use to redirect calls for your husband to Google Voice, free up the ESN for the Droid 2, and port your son from Boost to Page Plus.

good idea! I didn't know anything about GV. I've now read lots about it and still don't really understand it, but that's ok. What I think would happen is that the 500-xxxx would port to GV, and we could set it up so that calls coming into that number just forward to his new number. In this case, the phone number doesn't need to be linked to an ESN?

Once that's done, the ESN for the Droid will be freed up and available for my son's phone number to be ported to it. Does that sound right?

I need to do more reading, but I'm in a time crunch. My son's phone got cut off because he didn't have the money to pay it this month (this is how I've finally convinced him to move to PP) but at the same time, the phone died. We need to get his phone number up and running on a working phone ASAP, because he's looking for a job and potential employees have had no way to reach him for a few days now.

I have another idea... What if I switch the phone numbers? Port the Droid 2's number to my son's non-working ZTE Warp, and port my son's number to the Droid 2. Would we still be able to call and check voicemail (from another phone) even though the phone itself doesn't work? I'm not sure whether voicemail is sort of in the cloud or really does rely on the actual physical phone working.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsJennyK View Post
    I have another idea... What if I switch the phone numbers? Port the Droid 2's number to my son's non-working ZTE Warp, and port my son's number to the Droid 2. Would we still be able to call and check voicemail (from another phone) even though the phone itself doesn't work? I'm not sure whether voicemail is sort of in the cloud or really does rely on the actual physical phone working.
    That is a pretty good idea, but the problem is that you may not be able to complete the process of setting up the Droid 2's number to the non-working phone because in order to complete the process, you would have to program the phone and make at least one phone call with it. If the phone worked for even one day, so you could do that, but then never worked again, you could do it.

But even if it were possible, you would still be better off using the Google Voice method because that has no ongoing financial cost to you.

yes, and I just now saw that changing moving my husband's number to another phone will cost $20, since he's already on PP. That's not really worth it to me, as we don't really even need that number - it's just a way for people he hasn't talked to in a long time to get his new number. I wish I understood the whole Google Voice thing. I'm going to read more about it but it seems awfully confusing! It also costs money to port the phone number to GV. meh. Maybe we'll just go ahead and give up that number all together.