Thread: Verizon- 18009220204 Scam?

Exclamation Verizon- 18009220204 Scam?

So I got a call from "Verizon" today. Wanting to give me money off next months bill. (I have Page Plus!) I hung up the phone and googled the number. Looks like it is a Verizon number but I assume it was "spoofed".

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-922-0204

So please be careful with the details you give out over the phone!

Definitely spoofed. Do not ever offer personal info when you receive unsolicited incoming calls. I am weary of all numbers outside of family and friends. "Cellular call" is the latest spoof. It makes me curious, but I never answer it. I always let voice mail answer any strange calls, unless I am expecting a call.
    Last edited by computethis; 07-29-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Verizon- 18009220204 Scam?

Agreed. I will mention this in our next mailing to warn folks.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

This scam call is going around again. Got one today from 800-888-9599. New number, but same scam.

So bumping this thread as a reminder/warning!

I got the same call and just hung up. Like FullThrottle, I'm good to go on PP!

I just got 2 of these from the same number FT reported and only 20 minutes apart - argh
    Quote Originally Posted by FullThrottle View Post
    This scam call is going around again. Got one today from 800-888-9599. New number, but same scam.

So bumping this thread as a reminder/warning!

Eufaula (Down in the Wiregrass) (From the Heart of it All) OH (To the Heart of Dixie) AL!

I'm in fear for my Life!

Scam calls are beginning to be a problem ... Down thru the years my wife has known about emails to me from ladies who has seen my picture and think I'm Cute and so they want to Meet Me! My wife laughs and says ... If they only knew you ... They wouldn't want to Meet You!

So why am I in fear for My Life? ... What will happen to me in the middle of the Night when my wife finds out that Now these Scams will be coming to my cell phone! Oh the Irony of it all over My Good Looks!

Yeah Right!

Anyway ... Here's Wishing Everyone Has a Great God Filled Weekend!

Just don't let her catch you trying to buy State Farm auto insurance over the phone in the middle of the night!

That number is legit. I have an iPhone 5 on Straight Talk and I was messing around with some SIM cards and when I put an unactivated Verizon SIM into my iPhone, a message popped up saying my iPhone was not activated and I had to call that number. I cant remember if that message popped up when I put the SIM in or right when I took it out. But it seemed legit from my experience.

It may be a legit number, but it doesn't mean the call is coming =from= that number. It is trivial to "spoof" CID these days. I can do it with my PBX or with several of my VoIP providers. If I knew your PP number I could set a call channel to your number, call it, and reach your voicemail. Only a good password would keep me out.

Moral of the story: seeing a number doesn't mean the call comes from that number these days...