Thread: Trying to understand clean/clear ESN versus unlocked

Trying to understand clean/clear ESN versus unlocked

Hi all,

I am a newbie. I have been using PagePlus for a while but only with simple phones that friends have discarded. I am in the market for a Android phone for PP, probably Droid 2 or Droid X.

I have been looking on ebay but I cannot tell if a phone will work. I know I can use the ESN check service on Kitty and I will, but I do not want to do this over and over only to find that the phone will not work on PP.

I am looking at a Droid 2 on ebay. It is described this way:

Barely used Motorola Droid 2. Fantastic phone does everything, however I want to go back to a Blackberry for work purposes.

I recently sent a message to the seller, who claims to be a Verizon employee, about using it on PP and this was his response:

It can work with pageplus, but phone is not unlocked,currently it is locked to Verizon Wireless.
    They are some great and cheap websites that can unlock phone for a small of between $10 to $15.

Is this possible? Are there websites that can unlock a phone? If I did a ESN check at Kitty and it passes, does that mean it is guaranteed to work on PP? If it fails, does it give the reason like bad ESN versus locked?

If a seller says the ESN is clean or clear does that mean it should be unlocked?

Thanks,
    Mark

Verizon phones do not get locked or unlocked. GSM phones do (AT&T, T-mobile, etc.) If this person really is a Verizon employee then they are sadly uneducated/misinformed about this situation.

If you do an ESN Check with Kitty, and it passes, it means it's clear FOR THAT MOMENT. It does not guarantee anything, as the ESN Check will tell you, because we have never seen your device and cannot speak for the history of it.

The term "unlocked" is not used with Verizon devices. UNLOCKED is used with GSM devices with SIM Cards only.

Thanks,
    Kitty

(One exception: The Global devices on Verizon can have their SIM card slots unlocked, and this Droid 2 DID come in a global version, but you did not indicate whether this is a Droid 2 or Droid 2 Global)

Thanks Kitty.

So to make sure I understand, if a person has a phone on Verizon and then they switch to a different phone then the ESN should be clear and it should work on PP. I have heard something about Verizon phones will not work if they were purchased under contract and the original contract has not expired. Is this incorrect or does this not apply if the person has switched to a different phone?

Thanks again,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markrice View Post
    Thanks Kitty.

So to make sure I understand, if a person has a phone on Verizon and then they switch to a different phone then the ESN should be clear and it should work on PP. I have heard something about Verizon phones will not work if they were purchased under contract and the original contract has not expired. Is this incorrect or does this not apply if the person has switched to a different phone?

Thanks again,
    Mark
    The answer depends on the specific circumstances of each situation. Examples:

1. Customer purchase phone under contract with Verizon, then does an ESN change on Verizon to free up that device. Then puts that contracted device on Page Plus and stops paying their verizon bill ( defaults ) - verizon will blacklist their device.

There are about 10 different examples I can give you, but you CAN use ANY verizon device ( as long as it's NOT a blackberry and NOT a Verizon prepaid device ) on Page Plus, as long as Verizon has been paid for the device, or the person who got it under contract is still paying Verizon monthly.

It gets very complicated, which is why we advise that people use a used Verizon phone they paid cash for from a reliable/safe source, a brand new Verizon phone they paid cash for from a retail store, or a Page Plus approved device.

Kitty

That is incorrect. As long as the person is paying their bill Verizon doesn't care. Sometimes people think they can downgrade their service from a smartphone to a dumb phone to save money, but if they got a smart phone as part of the contract, they can't do that unless some Verizon CSR decides to be nice. What they can do is switch to some other smart phone.